Friday, May 22, 2009

"Security" and Good Night

Tonight I was impressed (please don't always take that word as a positive thing) by a conversation I was a silent participant to (a.k.a. eavesdropper). It was between my respectably, and unfortunately unrecognized father, and a relative/friend, I don't know. Anyways, they swapped statistics about the amount of years left until they could draw social security and when, perhaps, might be the most strategic time to retire. In the mix I believe they also shared the amount of years they have already spent (yes, spent, like used up; exhausted of active or required components or qualities for a particular purpose; drained of energy or effectiveness [merriam-webster]) in their personal fields. Amidst the dialogue from the over-dramatized modern Andy Griffith Show I swore to myself that would not happen to me. I can't get a grip on the thought that I might graduate from high school with dreams of a memorable and productive journey and end up...well like this: Say I got to college for a solid for years. Enough to get a degree and come out with a good paying job. Then I'll get married and have thirty kids (yes, it is a hyperbole) and get a house that's bigger than I need and a lot of frivolous no account possessions. Things are going great, except I'm ill most times and I can't really do anything, because I'm tied to my self-inflicted duty. I can't put my family at risk. So steadily, steadfastly, and with a whole lot of love for my family I go to work with my imaginary umbrella to block off the all too real drizzling doldrums of the day. Everyday living for retirement, wasting the time in between, wishing the days away. Sort of like the student who wishes the "care-free" school days away and weeps upon his departure. When I finally get there, what then do I live for? I've finally gotten the end I desired. My children are gone along with my youth. My life isn't over, but so many opportunities are. Right now, before everyone I commit my life to whatever God has designed it to be. But unless his sovereign purpose intervenes, I refuse to live for Social Security. I pledge myself to a life of accomplishment and legacy....Ok wait I need to stop. This sounds like a knock on a life that is defined by working and getting paid until retirement. Not at all. There is plenty of room for a life of incredible purpose in the day-to-day itinerary of that lifestyle. I don't believe it is for me. I want to give up things. I want to sacrifice. I want more responsibility than I can handle for the glorification of Who is truly good.

The night has been something beautiful. My brother graduated, I spent...er...excuse me...I had quality time with my most wonderful family. A classy collection of people. I shared precious moments with my more precious friends, and the conversation continues until the night concludes with the commencement of my slumber. Good Night...oh! Good Morning says the clock, I had lost track of the time. Well sleep well, may God's peace be with you and may all your dreams be pleasant and inspiring. I love you all and pray nothing but the best for you. For those of you who cared, thank you. Yes thank you for tagging along on the ever and always...Classical Ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment