Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Morality and Newspapers


Today my brother Wes, Daniel Murray, and I went to Wal-Mart. We were in front of the building and Wes was purchasing a newspaper out of the machine. When he exchanged three quarters for entrance into the box I questioned my comrades, "What keeps one from taking more than one?" My brother answers with the expected offering, "Morality." Of course he is right, and of course many people do not abide by any such moral code. Yes, many people will take more than one paper for three quarters. At the same time, there was still a stack of papers in there and surely someone had come to the machine before us....Morality is not dead. I watched as my brother continuously slipped quarters in to retrieve more papers as opposed to breaking the honor code. No citizens, morality isn't dead. When the day comes that you see an empty newspaper machine with only three quarters in it, then we are on the brink. But as for right now. It isn't quite the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment