Monday, June 8, 2009

Pure Life...Bottled Water

Before I began to type I poured a swallow of water from a half-filled, three day old bottle of water lying in my room into my thirsty throat. As intention would have it that bottle is the subject of my post.

The bottle of water is distributed by Nestle Pure Life bottled water brand, and on the side of water a slogan is printed that reads, "Embrace the Pure Life." What was most interesting to me however was not the slogan itself but the tiny TradeMark stamp to its right. Are they claiming rights to the phrase? The slogan? The idea? Of course the slogan, but for the sake of my blog let's imagine they are claiming originality to the idea itself.

If this were the issue I would have a pretty good case to make against them. I would begin with this early documentation:

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
Phillipians 4:8

Well that settles that, but my attention is stuck to my drinking container. I read on: "Nestle Purel Life Purified Water is purified using reverse osmosis or distillation and enhanced with a balance of minerals for taste." Well my further drive to extend this metaphor, led me to further investigation, so I consulted my ever faithful Merriam-Webster. Osmosis is a process of absorption of diffusion suggestive of the flow of osmotic action. Reverse osmosis, to be more specific is, "the movement of freshwater through a semipermeable membrane when pressure is applied to a solution (as seawater) on one side of it" That is to say, in a nutshell if you'll pardon the cliche, the movement of impurities from a substance so that it is clean. Look how similar we Christians are to a bottle of water.

One more thing caught my attention before I quit my perusement of my bottle. I found that this bottled water company was under another even greater corporation by name of Best Life. Now isn't that a nice tie up.

Best Life, Pure Life. Something to think on anyway. So long, citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment