Monday, August 10, 2009

The Gentleman's Handshake.

My peers will tell you I've always shied, if not cringed, away from the high-fiveing, fist bumping, hand sliding, twists and turns of my generations juvenile handshake derivatives and errantries. That isn't to say I oppose them, but I have a fiercely loyal respect and fondness for the traditional and irreplaceable greeting. There can be security in a good grip from a friend, or there can be a challenge. It could be one body's impression of you. Yet another's simple way of saying they are glad to see you. It can be a pact of trust, a symbol of brotherhood, or just a courtesy. Traced back as far as 2nd Century B.C. the handshake has rarely failed to deliver in it's purpose.
Perhaps due to the slight shift in the greeting industry, the quality of handshakes has noticeably taken a dive. Though there are many still on board with the ritual many have fallen behind. Want back on? Read on:




It's been more than one occasion that one of my peers, unused to my handshaking ways, will not even grip at all! It's a sickening feeling to crush some other fellow's hand that just sits limp in yours. What sort of greeting is that? Both parties should shake firmly, but please don't hang on too long. It's safe to say that after one participant has released their grasp it's time to drop the hand. If it's just a quick "hullo" then usually a quick rattle will do the trick. If you are being introduced or the like the up and down movement is proper. Most importantly the firm grip is necessary.


There are also guidelines for a gentleman shaking hands with a lady. Despite some women's call for equality in every way and some men's abandonment of chivalry, the rightful way is still alive, if rare. The lady's hand should be extended forward (and first) with the palm facing down. The fellow's hand should come underneath and mainly let her hand lay rest in his. Don't hang on too long here gentleman, because the young lady will think you very flirtatious indeed. Also fellows, if the woman does not extend in this fashion it doesn't mean you can't do it, but stay wary for the slightest resistance. The quality of this handshake does not lie in the strong grip.
Well, you can shake hands any way you want. I'm just telling you.

3 comments:

  1. I never did shake hands like a "lady" until I met you. I always thought a good firm handshake showed much about my character. I prefer your teaching. A young lady yes yes... thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete