Monday, July 6, 2009

Digging...Wise Man II


I walked a mile today in the uncomfortable sunshine of my cloned subdivision. My blue jeans stuck to my legs with sweat and one smart-alecky mosquito yelled "Drinks all around" after a gulp from my forearm. Thankfully though, all the familiar distractions were smashed right in the middle of the tracks by my unusually stalwart train of thought. I had two alarmingly simple revelations. The first was I need a notebook or the like when I take these walks, so I will never have to repeat the impractical method of detailing my thoughts in blue ink from a shang-haied post office pen all over my palm. While it would be easy to shift the cause of the second inspiration to the thought-provoking lyricisms of punk group Relient K ringing in my ear, I truthfully and whole-heartedly blame God, and I thanked Him for understanding and relevant situations gleefully and vigorously right as I walked (with a quicker and peppier pace too). I was pondering the words of God and godly men, and remembering a few particular words I was offered on a long bus ride with my neck craned to hear and trying to lock away what I was listening to in my head. The gist of the monologue (for I wasn't much of a conversational asset) was "digging" for things and never slow down or relent in your search, and look anywhere and everywhere for something from God. "Dig" in unlikely, unwanted, and difficult places. Figuratively, dig where the rocks are, dig where there isn't likely to be a treasure, not just on the sandy beaches or smooth soil, but in the swamps or in the grass or in the abandoned mines. Literally, go for the books that never sold, or the programs that no one watches or are filmed poorly, don't just search for things that please you, but try to learn something about yourself in hard hitting words. I made the connection then, between this wise man and the wise man mentioned in my Proverbs blog. When it was suggested I really attack the Proverbs as far as self-relevancy and understanding, I did so with a fervor and was nominally perturbed at the constant apply your heart to wisdom, or search for understanding, or seek it like this or that. It was telling me over and over throughout the whole thing to just "seek it" "seek it" "seek it." I grew frustrated with this, because I thought that was what I was doing by reading Proverbs. Give me some wisdom already! The only way I could figure to really seek after wisdom like it instructed was to just pray. And pray I did and do since then, but I also know that "...as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also." --James 2:26 (NKJV) On that bus ride being fed with the words of my second wise man I made the connection. Here was my works. I had to dig. Of course you have to work for wisdom. You have to "seek it" "seek it" "seek it" just as the Proverbs properly repeat. So thank you Lord for your multi-purpose, seemingly unrelative, genious, and perfect grant of the advice of two wise men and Your gift of understanding. And May you bless those wise and unwary men you used.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. You are correct in all you say and I'm glad to have the opportunity to do the same. Wise men... I've learned to listen to people older than me and those who have been through things I haven't. They know what they're talking about. It's better to just say you know nothing and be all ears. We are responsible for our own knowledge and understanding. We have been given a mouth to pray with and the good book to study. So let the wisdom begin. Tonight we dig. I like this blog. You are growing in a great way. I can see it.

    Sarah Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazingly written blog and so powerful! It really adds more character to the Mitchell I already know. And that, mi amigo, is a very good thing. It's weird how something written a few months ago can play into your here and now. The Bible is a perfect example, but this is a good one too.

    ReplyDelete