Monday, July 27, 2009

Mentalities.

The mind is probably the most troublesome, wearisome, and constantly targeted part of a human being. Between it's right and wrong applications it's quite the paradoxal feature.

I do not believe that the mind is beyond control. Far from it, depending on your stand with the Almighty. Right now I'm focusing hard on breaking in a new pair of shoes for this ol' mind of mine.

The fact is my natural mentality is always to try and please people. It's a terrible way to walk through life. I'll tell you why: 1. They will never be pleased. 2. It will get you nowhere.

Directly contradictory to my crooked creed I've discovered something that works. The trick is found in 1 Thessalonians 2:4 (Big shoutout to www.biblegateway.com) and it reads, "...Our purpose is to please God, not people. He alone examines the motives of our heart."

It's so frustrating when I find myself working for people and trying to gain favor in human eyes. The tangibility of it all is so tempting, and yet the true reward does not come from the visible flesh that pats me on the back and has a better outlook on me.

And honestly, we know from Romans 8:28 that all things work together for good for those who love God. I believe that if you make God you priority and constantly have Him in mind and aim to please Him instead of people. Then everything will fall into place.

Don't be a people pleaser.

2 comments:

  1. My you are right... I am guilty of the same. This goes with living for heaven's sake. Because when you aim to please people, and succeed that will only burn. And is that be the outcome, then it's not worth it. God takes care of the rest. I'll try this Mitch. "Don't be a people pleaser, don't be a people pleaser..." Thanks,:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is far too true. I've had to learn this the worst way. I still catch myself slipping into the people pleaser spot every now and then, but I have to ask myself "Is God proud of what I'm doing? Is this His plan for me or should I be doing something else?" Through prayer, God always makes sure I'm pointed in the right direction. He is a loving God :]

    On a different note, I've started going back and reading a few of your older blogs and I must say I'm very pleased. You truly have a gift Mitchell Capps :]

    ReplyDelete