Friday, May 28, 2010

"To punch and to kick"


"Anybody can teach you how to punch and kick."

If I've heard it once I've heard it a million times. It's what set him apart. Him being Master Scott Heath. An unsung hero of sorts.

Well he's a lot of things. He is a Christ-follower, husband, father, defender, investigator, martial artist, storyteller, teacher, mentor, friend, dreamer, worker, and the list could go on.

He's a mensch. He's always tried to be a man of integrity and as his life testifies, whatever he tries at, he succeeds at.

He has a story that I could never do justice to. Though it is an inspirational one. For all the "can't do's" he's been thrown, he's retaliated with a "can do." Perhaps one day I can get him to offer his story forth to the Classical Ride readers.

But somewhere in that story, that is continuing as I type, he wound up in our lives, and it was no accident.

On a personal note, he revolutionized my lifestyle and my persona. I was weak and he made me stronger in many ways through his classes. I was a sniveling, self-depreciating, sometimes bratty kid. In a lot of ways I was a loser. I knew it. I know it better now. But he renovated my spirit in a way. It was God, oh sure I know that, but he was a vessel. Probably the greatest gift he gave me was confidence. With it came freedom from fear and also ability. The way I looked at myself and acted changed. It was like having a brand new heart. I felt purpose for the first time in a long time.

So here's to Master Heath.

You sir, have left a legacy.

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I don't even know the half of it. I wish I had been under his teaching more. You guys speak so highly of his as a teacher. Praise God for men like this!

    ReplyDelete