Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Question II...The Derived Persona


Once again I have to revoke my Cool Hand Luke borrowed phrase "I can eat fifty eggs" and admit, I just don't know. I have often theorized, as I'm sure others have with me, that perhaps individuality is but a myth. Tinkering with such a time-honoured claim is foolish if one wants to maintain a fanbase. However, I prefer answers to fickle fans. Could it be that each man or woman's persona is only derivative of those one surrounds themselves with. Then, our "uniquity" could be explained by the fact that we each surround ourselves with a different social set. And we give and we take and even create from what we see and hear from around us. These things we call original are not our invention at all, but a beautiful conglomeration of outside ingredients. I would appreciate anyone's response on the matter. Don't me dogmatic, don't be shy. The question:

Is there an innate personality?

3 comments:

  1. Let me go take a visit to the dictionary and I will get back with you... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thought-provoking, Mr. Capps.

    I think that it's possible to say that personality is both innate and a collection of outside ingredients. I suppose if you want to use the word "ingredients," then you can see the personality in the metaphor of a recipe. Sure, the ingredients are there, but you don't get the final product unless you mix them together right.

    So while outside influences may comprise of a large part of the persona, you have to take into account how these aspects are gathered. The mind can subconsciously whether choose to assimilate or reject aspects of personalities, and which aspects they choose (and how much of them they choose) cannot logically be said to have been influenced by any outside factors. So while I can agree that the greater part of personality is learned from others, the fact that only certain aspects of others' personalities are learned means that there is some innate personality that is choosing to shape itself in the form of others..

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are only found individual by God. He knows everything about me and you. We were created by Him and have purpose according to His will. The biggest purpose is to love Him will our whole heart and lives. There in that relationship we find who we really are, what God has for us, expects for us and our persona. If we can be placed in a class, group or commonly known pattern then maybe we do not know who we are at all.

    I see more and more of guys and gals acting like their parents and friends. I am one who changes slightly to match my surrounding... (I am babbling...sorry)

    Biggest point: To know who we are, we must know who He is. We should never be categorized. Uniquely crafted... Seek Him.

    ReplyDelete