Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Action, the Myth, and Myrrh


"Wrestling Till Dawn" by Jean Blomquist was a novel. That is to say it was a brand new idea, not a long storybook. A novelty I plucked from it was in regard to faith. Faith without belief. Shocking isn't it? These two words are usually synonymous. A couple. Holy matrimony and all that jazz. So we think. We're not talking divorce here, we're talking these two were never married to start with. It's a myth. Or at least that's the way I see it for now.

Mrs. Blomquist brings proof with a brilliant analogy. She says that faith is to disbelief in much the same way that courage is to fear. This is the "in spite of" theory. One may act in courage in a situation in which they are very much afraid. Likewise, one may act on their faith in a situation in which they do not believe can have positive results.

It is logical to say that when events, circumstances, prior knowledge, facts, and reason contradict something it is beyond one's mental capabilities to believe it. We just cannot fathom the outcome in our head. But when we act anyway we are rewarded. This is the noblest of faiths.

How are our ill-financed human spirits charged enough to take such a leap? Assuredly it is none to our credit. The only way we have this faith is that God gives it to us. Freely and without reserve, I will add, if we take it.

Luckily for my mind that ever gravitates towards an argument, this theory has produced lots of criticism and disagreement. Tell me your own theories on faith, if you can counter mine.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good book and I enjoy reading it. She brings a lot of organic soul material to the table. Will say, that in everyday living I must trust what I cannot see, and lean on who I only know is real. God is...I AM... I cannot fit Him in a picture for you to gander at, I cannot sing Him in a song, because it just will not work. We were never meant to understand, but only have faith. Faith, being the unexplainable, incomprehensible, without depth, height, or gravitational pull that we all commonly share. I say, even when I do not see how it is humanly possible, I still believe in the impossible, therefore, the impossible is what I believe, in faith. Maybe the truth is that we cannot explain it, thus, we use faith to believe in it's possibility rather than cave in the impossibilities... I'm still thinking on this one. Good stuff. You should write or something, because it seems to me that you have quite the opinions.

    ReplyDelete