Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Well Spent Laughter...Wise Man (Men) IV


Life lessons from dad are treasured things. More treasured than even the gold dust uncovered in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre" which happens to be the movie in view when one of the earliest remembered pieces of fatherly advice was given. With Humphrey Bogart already dead we see the remaining prospectors losing their fortune in gold to the wind and sands of the desert. They begin laughing in hysteria. My inquisitive older brother questioned my old man as to why they were laughing. This was a crisis after all! My dad said something profound almost, "Well, you can either laugh or cry." We understood. When bad things happen, it is good to take it with a laugh. Much later we have almost the same conversation about espionage sitcom Get Smart. This time it is me reminding him. "We should all try and be like Maxwell Smart" says I as Max jokes about his apartment's explosion. My dad, ever a critic of his stupidity raises more than one eyebrow. I go on to explain the lesson he taught me much before "it is good to take our crises in life with a little laugh." He agreed.



When I was in Ecuador, each morning at breakfast one of the adult leaders would share a sort of daily devotional. On our last morning in Sucua a good man began to share a little of his life's story. He told of some very tragic and difficult times. This was not the expected imparture from our normally jovial friend. After little thought however, it only enhanced his sincere joy. He was the product of a calloused life and what was left was an ever evident appreciation for the beauty in laughter. Adding to my admiration it was also clear as to his motives in spreading his tickled feelings.



A world without laughter is a sick envisionment. We thrive off laughter. While my claim still stands it can be wasted (http://theclassicmc.blogspot.com/2009/10/wasted-laughter.html) laughter is not something to be kept under lock and key. Spend it where you can, find joy in trivial things. Laugh.

1 comment:

  1. Laughter, a step forward in the right direction. This is complete and sincere. I love it. I laugh a lot (as you know) and I hope to always. It's a blessing. Mr. Capps is awesome. I love this! Praise the Lord for laughter, better than medicine. God is good!

    ReplyDelete