Monday, December 28, 2009

Extraordinary


Everyone deserves to dress fancy, have there picture made, have their name in the paper, have the word "the" in front of their name when being introduced, have their talents recognized and applauded, be picked first when teams are being separated, be remembered, receive a phone call, get a letter in the mail, be someone that another friend "has to meet!", have a song written about them, be included in the acknowledgments of a book, and be someone's favorite. I don't imagine that is the case with everyone. I'm spoiled. Most of these have happened to me.

The politically correct thing to say is that everyone is extraordinary, and just maybe that's so, but then it's just as likely it isn't. Maybe no one is, how should I know. Maybe those so undoubtedly extraordinary are only a facade. Then again maybe their ability to keep it up is extraordinary in itself. It's possible that as a whole, as the enormous net of uniquities and talent we all are, we are extraordinary. Extraordinary as a body. I like that. Deciding what is normal is a stupid task with a jury pledged into not being too technical.


There is the kind of extraordinary that everyone wants to be. Those like Sherlock Holmes, The Fonz, the flattering and annoying side character in movies who tries to steal the girl... Then there are more specific extraordinaries and we think to ourselves that wouldn't be half bad either. People like Bill Watterson, Paul W. Bryant, and John Wayne. Then there are those rings of extraordinaries like the cast of I Love Lucy, the Sean Connery led comic book, sci-fi team (only a joke), or the U.S. army. The groups are the most appealing to me.

I like to think of myself as extraordinary. And so do you. I exaggerate myself in my mind, then, try to live up to it. Sometimes I do, others not so much. Then I covet things to add to my extraordnariness (Mitch! Is that a word?). My imagination makes me feel good if I'm at the right place. Art and talent are what I want to have. And so do you.

I don't have an end to this one. It's a change, but not a first. Thoughts were given, so it's only proper that thoughts be welcome. Fire away. I'm ashamed of this post. Apologies.

2 comments:

  1. Honesty I like always. I've stood by that for a while. This is not one of my favorites, not because it's not well written, it is, not because it lacks detail, it doesn't, and I'm sure it's likeable because it has your special signature. But I think I was a little offended with your honesty...so I applaud you. I know we all want these things. We like attention and we want to be something great. But all our greatness just points back to God. We are nothing without Him. You are "The Classic Mitch Capps" because He has allows you to claim that title. If it were not for God's love you could write a horror film of my life. We are extraordinary in diverse ways. It can't be comprehended. God is the Author and we are His wemmicks. Apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite liked this post. It makes me think about people, and I love that feeling. People are the ups and downs of this world, God's the plane. It's cool to see what they're gonna do next. And everyone's different, that's what I love so much. Thank you for this :)

    ReplyDelete