Thursday, October 22, 2009

Principles and Carpetball


My interest in principles began in the most profound of ways. Of course my definition of profound is most likely not yours. Unless your definition can be exemplified with a few happy kids playing carpetball. I'll take for granted that you are already familiar with the billiards/bowling hybrid that is the summer camp game of carpet ball, because it would severely digress to much to long a parenthesis if I tried to explain.

A certain wisened young man was taking his shot at the sport one night at a residence that I love dearly. He began explaining to me that one would usually be much better off if he would only stick to his original principles and not let other people's suggestions or any situation change them. Using only the launching of the ball as punctuation he formed my idea in my mind that has categorized most every good trait. Whether he had any serious intent with his monologue or not I took it to heart and there it stays to this day. It's true that if you lay down principles for yourself that are absolute, holding fast to those statutes will give you the security you want. A good solid principle is almost never situational. It can be likened figuratively to not being jolly content with a friend of yours when you are alone or among a small group of friends, and being ashamed or embarrassed of that same friend in another social scenario. It makes me sick (coincidentally one of my principles is directly antagonist to that act). In the same way you should not betray your principles even if they are not necessarily the acceptable thing to do. Taking into account that principles are a sort of subgenre to wisdom Proverbs 4:6 does indeed apply in saying, "Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you."

Now, as my politics are coming to a close, I would encourage you directly a final time. Detail some principles of your own. Cuff them tightly to your wrist and be happily towed into a respectable imprisonment. Others will take notice and follow your example in due turn.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your wisdom. Speaking your mind may have spark a few fingers to take hold of a pen and go to town with their own principles. I like the title, what a unique and way to bring a smile to a face. I like.."Cuff them tightly to your wrist and be happily towed into the respectable imprisonment."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like that quote that Sarah Jane likes. Very nicely put Mitchell :]

    I've thought a lot about these things myself. I never really understood how some people could be so temporarily impressionable by their surrounding group. It makes me think of children. If a child is around you enough, they're gonna like everything you like and dislike everything you dislike. It's mostly unavoidable. But they keep you on your toes! You'll know if something you're doing isn't right when they start copying you and they get in trouble. Children don't have principals, they have to learn them. We all get to that point where we start maturing. It's only a matter of staying true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete