Saturday, October 30, 2010

Happy=Healthy


Why is laughter better than a Tylenol? A hearty smile a suitable supplement? A pat on the back a viable vitamin? It makes us happy! In thinking, I have developed a wholly uninformed, unreasonable, silly idea (or ideal) that I completely believe.

So my great-grandfather is nearing his mid-eighties. He plants a garden every year. He is one of the most brilliant carpenters I've ever known. He can split wood better than a youth. I kid you not. His body is worn, but strong. He eats a slab of salt pork nearly every morning. I'm not saying he's in perfect health, but what has it hurt him?

I know a great deal of people who are calorie obsessive. They shun sugar, steer clear of salt and fats, and have created a potently profitable market for "health food." I don't know many of them that can claim better health than I. I am not really careful as to what I eat, albeit I'm very young. I eat plenty of salt and fat, I am a Coca-Cola man and those killer cannisters often make there way in my system, but I'd match myself to a great deal of people health-wise.

I believe the key might be: 1. Don't be a glutton. 2. Stay active. If you are doing these two things I don't see how you can go wrong. I certainly would not say that emptying a few packages of Oreo's a day is a intelligent diet or that making a pyramid with your used Cola cans would not harm you, but within reason, truly, eat what you want.

I think at times that if people constantly watch what they eat, they will be worse off than those who are happily healthy. If one eats what they like it will curb it. That's generally what I do. I eat what I want, and what I like to eat. If I didn't eat what I wanted to I would be missing a little joy in life and for what? I get joy out of trying different foods and I don't want to let the fact that they are unhealthy hold me back.

So, in short, my health philosophy is don't eat too much of what's bad (but by all means eat it) and stay active. Eat happy, eat healthy.

*If I am found dead of nutritional problems in a few years we will all no my theory was wrong. (Don't count on it). I certainly would not want to steer someone in the wrong direction health-wise, so take care in following this bit of direction.

2 comments:

  1. I could not agree more, or have said it better myself!
    And besides that people who stress themselves out cause a vast multitude of health problems :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are saying have a balanced diet, right? Is this what I am hearing? I agree that you should be able to eat what you like and not obsess. --Just last night I has grilled banana and cow intestines. We have argued about this one I know. But I think we agree...for the most part. Always glad to read your thoughts.

    Healthy boy.

    ReplyDelete