Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Friendship Is a Dying Art



And where it once hung proudly in museums of considerable pomp, it now is at best graffitied on a few rebel souls here and there.






But it's still beautiful.






Friendship can hold on just as fast as it can let go. I don't mean to let go in abandonment, but to let go into better hands. Because it makes sense that in the walk of life that closer people will come and go, but I'll always be there for the drop off.






So take advantage of me. I'm at your disposal. Not because I'm weak, but because I love you and I love you more than I love me. I've found that I can be whatever my friends need me to be. I'm not a personality on a television who picks his popularity. I'm a puppet on willing strings. I'm going to do right. Wrong me. I'll do right.






Because I forgive you, not because I have a good heart, but because my bad heart has been forgiven and I can't be mad at anyone really.






And because loyalty sounds like bells ringing and foreign lights falling out of the blue. It's a beautiful sound and a grinning taste on my tongue.






And a person is a tougher case than a population. Someone taught me that. People take time and investment and tears. Populations don't have souls. If we save the majority we can sleep at night. But there is such thing as a minority and their souls were important too.






I can't compromise my morals, but I can compromise myself. Because who I want to be by way of whim or gimmick isn't half as important as you. So I'll betray myself and we'll walk on, branded though I am.






And I will do the things I hate. Because they aren't right or wrong, I just hate them, but I'll do them for you.






Because I can still paint. Don't mind my abstractions or impressions. Don't mind my dripping colours and torn canvasses.






Because it's a dying art I have a hard time.






But my medium is this: I will be loyal to you. I will work at our friendship. I will be relentless in times of need. I will put you before me.






And I will fail.






But in the end






It will be a masterpiece.

1 comment:

  1. This is the most beautiful piece of writing I have read from you in a while. Its truth has proven itself in your life, as my friend, friends of yours (that I have stepped back and been astonished by [along with inspirations]), and will continue. Beautiful writer and inspirational too. I'm proud of this heart. *you

    ReplyDelete